We're Close to Being Done

A few more weeks and we'll have the 12th Street Duplex completely done. Just a quick story about last weekend when I was working over there: So, I go over to fix a wall that wasn't correct. As I'm working, I notice a lady carrying a ton of bags walk through my yard. She didn't see me, but I watch her (as this is 12th Street and it wouldn't' surprise me if she was there to steal my garbage). I initially think that she is just cutting through the yard, but then she turns around and comes back to the front door. She sees me and asks, "Where's Mike?". I have no idea who Mike is and I let her know this. She tells me that he worked on the framing of the house. That job ended several weeks ago and I tell her this too. At that point, she sits down on the door sill. This is awkward for me. I ignore it and go back to work. A few minutes go by and she asks to borrow a bag. I scrounge up a Menard's bag and give it to her and go back to work. A few more minutes go by and she asks me if I will give her a ride to her house since she has all of the bags to carry. I try to brush her off saying that she doesn't want to ride in my truck because it's trashed, but she says that she doesn't care. So, I finish what I'm working on and load up my tools (rule #1 in building --- never leave anything over 35 cents in value at a job site or it will disappear). We get in the truck and make our way towards Sycamore Street. Parts of Sycamore Street can best be described as some of the worst areas in Terre Haute. You could buy the whole block for around $10,000 (crack and crackheads not included). Anyway, we make it a few blocks from the house and she turns and asks me, "Are you gay?". I give her the resounding no and think nothing of it. Then she follows up with, "Do you like to party?". Now, at this point I guess I wasn't in my game mode because I answered almost immediately with, "Yeah, every now and then ---I'm going to a graduation party tonight". Now the truck goes silent for a minute and you can almost hear crickets (aside from the deafening sound of the Brown Bombers engine and the ladder rack vibrating). I pull over and she steps out to leave and then turns back and gives me the proposition, "Do you want to come upstairs and party with me?" At this point, it all clicks for me and I realize that "Party" doesn't really mean "Party" --- it means, well, you know. I was somewhat shocked and I'm not going to lie, a little scared. I immediately answer with, "No, I have a lot of work to do" and then I gun it and speed away in The Bomber. Now I can't help but wonder whether she was propositioning me for money or just for free. Truth be told, I probably couldn't afford her. I have a wife that costs me way too much as it is and this lady looked like she needed A LOT of work ---new teeth, a long shower, new clothes, and probably a few packs of Marlboro's.
Insulation is going in today and drywall will be put in tomorrow and Wednesday.
Here are a few pics of the plumbing, HVAC, and electrical rough-ins.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like to think of Jesus as wearin' a Tuxedo T-shirt, 'cause it says, like, "I want to be formal, but I'm here to party too." I like to party, so I like my Jesus to party.
Mary Ann said…
Yikes, Daniel! Situations like that are exactly why our parents taught us never to talk to strangers.
Anonymous said…
pigghunter- great comment!
Now that's funny.
I'm going out now to buy a tuxedo T-shirt.
Anonymous said…
I guess that guy Mike knew how to party....damn Daniel.....your game is way off track, or your standards are to high.

Popular Posts