Tub Problems

Just when you think things are going smooth, life gives you a kick in the butt. I definitely had plenty of jobs on my list that I have to get done, but I figured that I would add another one last week when Zach called me and told me that the carpet in his apartment was soaking wet every time he used the shower. Not good. The culprit was a drain line that had a huge hole in it. Unfortunately, to get to the drain, I had two options: 1) tear out the kitchen in an adjoining apartment, or, 2) tear out the tub in this apartment. I went with option 2.
I spent about 12 hours the first day doing demolition work, framing in a new wall and running new water and drain lines. The demo work consisted of tearing out a bunch of drywall and cutting out a 5 foot fiberglass tub. If you've never tore out a fiberglass tub, you should put it on your list of things to do. It's actually pretty cool. I used a sawzall and a hammer and cut the thing up into about 10 pieces and then hauled it out. (This was definitely the best part of the job!)
I replaced the old and beautiful puke yellow tub with a new fiberglass 3 piece shower. I prefer the one-piece units, but since this was a remodel job we couldn't fit the one piece through the doors without ripping out walls. The new shower is in, but I still have to finish installing the drywall, painting, and adding a few shelves for storage. I should get it all finished up this weekend. Anyone wanting to learn how to do any of these things can call me this weekend. I would be happy to teach you.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Darn renters... He probably poured acid in the drain so he would get a new shower...
Anonymous said…
Next thing you know...the fridge will go out and the oven will stop working. Zach should have a nice new apartment by the end of the summer!

Popular Posts