The World Cup Runneth Over

Here we are on day two of The World Cup and guess what? Almost nobody in the United States cares. Oddly enough, I care. Here's why: ESPN insists on devoting half of their coverage to the event. That would be fine for countries that care about soccer; however, I think it's overkill for the U.S. What really bothers me is the fact that ESPN won't give mixed martial arts and the UFC even a few minutes of coverage. I won't argue that soccer has a much larger fan base worldwide, but I will be happy to argue that in the United States, mixed martial arts (primarily the UFC) is a much better sport for ESPN to cover (with a larger and faster growing fan base). Don't believe me? I'll make my point....name one player on the U.S. soccer team and who he plays for professionally? Now take the few seconds that you need to realize that you can't name one player or think of who he plays for professionally. Now name a fighter associated with the UFC or a similar fighting promotion. If you are part of a very large (and growing) fan base in the U.S. you can name several fighters. Check and Mate!
Maybe I'm just bitter because I know that ESPN won't provide any coverage tonight after one the greatest light heavyweights of all time fights (do I need to tell you that it's Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell?). This is my final plea to you ESPN: please start covering mixed martial arts a little more.

Comments

Popular Posts