Karma

I'm going to start off by saying that the story that I'm about to tell you is 100% true. I'm still a little flustered by it and I would find it hard to believe if someone told me it, but let me also tell you that Sarah was there to witness the madness. I did not get pictures; and for that I am ashamed. It would have made for great content. Anyway, before I digress, I shall begin:

Picture it:

Sarah and I are over at the apartments working last Saturday morning. We're doing the normal tasks...painting, plumbing, electrical stuff, etc. The end unit that we are working on is about 1300 square feet and the gentleman we bought it from used it and an attached shed as storage before we bought it. Long story short, we agreed to give the guy 30 days after closing to get all of his stuff out of storage. While we were working inside, the man and some helpers showed up and started loading stuff outside in the covered storage area. As Sarah and I are on the far side of the unit talking, we notice an older guy (probably 60 to 65) scurrying through the entrance door and fumbling with his belt and pants trying to get them down. He doesn't see us at all and it's clear to us that he is heading toward what used to be the bathroom. Sarah yells to him, "There's not a bathroom back there". He clearly didn't hear her. Now, before I go any further, I should tell you that what used to be the bathroom has been reduced to bare concrete floors, stripped down walls, and no amenities (including no toilet, no shower, no sink, no toilet paper...nothing...just an open room). Sarah and I dismiss the fact that he probably didn't hear her and I think we both thought that the guy would leave once he realized that there was no bathroom. A few minutes go by and the guy finally comes out from the hall and walks out the door. Again, he did not see us standing there as he left. Sarah went back to painting the trim and I started to work on something too and then I had the thought cross my mind that the time he was back there was way too long for him to see that there wasn't a bathroom and then leave. That would have taken a few seconds....this guy was back there for a few minutes. My concern grew and I had to check it out. As I opened the door to the "bathroom", I found a huge surprise on the bare floor....a man-made surprise. That wasn't the worst of it though, there was also the fact that it was diarrhea and then there was the unbearable smell. I've never seen anything like it. Wait.....it gets even worse....as I turn to run out, I notice a liquid dripping from the ceiling and onto the floor and pooling up on the floor. I immediately assume the worst. This thought is confirmed when I go upstairs and find that the guy had also took a whiz there and it was dripping through the floor.

Now, there are two ways to react and look at this situation: 1) you laugh about it and think to yourself, "Man, I deserve this for all things I've done in the past....but I'm still going to make the person clean it up"; or, 2) you get infuriated and go to tell the person off and possibly break some legs...and then make them clean it up". Sarah and I chose a mixture of both approaches.

After finding the surprise, I immediately had to tell Sarah. Upon hearing about it, she made a death march over to the guy and confronted him. Get this....he denied doing it. That is, until Sarah told him that we were standing in the apartment the entire time and we watched him undoing his pants and going in. He gave Sarah the line that he was going to clean it up and apologized and said that he just couldn't make it.

Sarah comes back and we rendezvous and she tells me how the conversation went down. Again, I think the whole thing is comical and disgusting and a little disrespectful of my place, so I immediately head over his way (I don't accept "I'm going to clean it up" as a good answer). As I turn the corner, it's like the scene from the movie Billy Jack. I'm thinking that I'm either going to tell this guy he's an idiot and he is going to take it or it will be me and four senior citizens going at it. (by the way, my record is 4 - 0 versus senior citizens, so I'm pretty confident that I could have taken them). The man saw me turn the corner and immediately started to say that he would clean it up and that he was sorry before I could get a word out. I let him say his piece and then I tell him that I don't care what happened, he is going to get in there NOW and scrub my floors in the bathroom and upstairs. He's pretty shaken by my approach and gives me the "Yes sir" response.

So, I go back to work and he comes in to clean up. He brings with him a cardboard box and a towel. After a few minutes, he tries to slide out without a confrontation......this isn't going to work for me. I stop him and he says, "I got it all cleaned up buddy. I'm sorry about that. I just couldn't make it. You know how it is.". I tell him that I don't know how it is and that wiping the floor with a towel wasn't going to cut it as cleanup.....he was going to go get a mop, a bucket, and cleaner and then he was going to scrub the floors. Again, he was a little taken aback, but he gave me the "Yes sir" answer again.

Fifteen minutes go by and he comes back with a mop, a bucket, and cleaner and he cleans the floor. I review the work and give the OK and then he leaves.

I'm looking back on the whole scenario now and thinking to myself, "Who craps on other peoples floors?" and "Why". Sure, it could be funny in some contexts, but not in this one. We didn't even know the guy and he had a perfectly good place to crap outside where he was working.

I've came to this realization: it's probably Karma coming back to kick me in the crotch for all of the things I've done in the past. I'd say that I have another 5 to 10 years of this type of stuff happening to me.

What's next for me and the rest of the Pigg family? I don't know. Only time will tell.
I can guarantee you this though, if it's anything like the last few weeks of my life, it will be entertaining.

GAME ON!

Comments

John said…
Those old guys are like dogs!!! You should have rubbed his nose in it and beat the hell out of him.

Popular Posts